Pages

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

An Overnight Trip to Lorain

Two weeks ago, I made a trip up to Lorain with my boss, Nora. That's a lot of pressure. Not that I'm usually a menace on the roads, but I figured it was wise to be extra-extra-extra careful when your driving your supervisor up I-71.

Thankfully, I made it to Northeastern OH with nary a speeding ticket or at-fault accident. I did make the mistake of taking a toll road without any cash. So, a big shout out to the state employee who let me go without paying the $1 toll. We got into Lorain just in time for Nora to have her first meal at Red Lobster. (She gave a thumbs up to cheddar biscuits. Thumbs down to fried clams.)

Nora was there with our Executive Director, Lisa Hamler-Fugitt, to check out the food banks in Lorain. I was there to offer benefit assistance to a food drive at the Prince De Paz Church. That meant I was flying solo for at least the beginning of the event. It got a little intimidating. At one point I had a line of a dozen people looking to see if they were eligible for assistance. Thankfully, all of the people in line were patient and friendly. People had the time to ask me specific questions and not feel pressured by the people waiting in the wind and drizzle.

A few hours in, Nora arrived with a bagel and diet soda. A true breakfast of champions. With Nora there, the lines moved that much faster and we were able to speak to almost 40 potential clients.

All of this wouldn't have been possible without the tireless effort of Lorain VISTA, Samantha Flores. Her work made the food drive a success. Her efforts helped people put food on the table and made it easier for them to apply for food stamps and other benefits. Bravo.

No comments:

Post a Comment