Pages

Monday, September 21, 2009

Big Idea for a Smaller Community

Erin and I were lucky enough to be invited to a community picnic in Darbyville. Darbyville is a small village in Pickaway County, about 45 minutes outside of the capital city. With a population of under 300, it may just be the smallest village we've ever visited.

The picnic provided great music, great sloppy joes (Sloppy Joes?), and more cornhole than I could shake a stick at. It turns out that Erin is better than me. I'd argue that she has an inherent advantage being from Ohio and all, but results are results. She is the better cornholer.

The picnic was held at the Darbyville Community Technology Center. This technology center is a great idea. With library hours being cut across Ohio and with unemployment continuing to be severe in the state, it's more important than ever to make sure people have access to the Internet so they can look for work, fine tune their resumes, and even apply for unemployment benefits. I'm glad that Darbyville has been able to provide such a valuable service. And I hope to see more of these technology centers in our trips across the state.

No comments:

Post a Comment