Pages

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Waiting on Those 1099s

So, tax season. Hurray! I really like doing applications where it looks like a client could be getting a $5000 check in the mail in two weeks. I think it combines my desire to help people with my desire to someday be a game show host.

Alas, Ohio has a severe unemployment problem. And unemployment compensation is taxable. The state doesn't have to provide those 1099 record of unemployment compensation until February 1, so a lot of people are just... waiting. I've had to turn away a few clients who had all of their relevant information except for their 1099s. I hate doing that, but everyone's hands are tied. The Mobile Express has been stuck in park since many of my scheduled events in economically depressed areas have been canceled. The people there just don't have their documents yet.

But we persevere. Our Direct Service Office is the busiest I've ever seen it and people are getting their refunds at a feverish pace. But I still stare at February 1 on my calendar waiting for the chance to help every person who comes into our office or into our van. I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment