Pages

Friday, February 25, 2011

So. Many. Taxes.

I'm writing this from a hotel room in Van Wert, Ohio. This follows overnight trips in Montpelier and Oberlin. I am collecting an impressive array of tea and conditioner.

Since it's been so long since we've last talked, I thought I'd turn this into a grab bag of van fun.

1. So far my favorite travel story happened in the aforementioned Montpelier in Williams County. The county borders both Indiana and Michigan so it's quite the haul. I stayed there once last year. The hotel is haunted. It's basically The Overlook. Dimly lit, lots of corners, patterned carpet, and a weird empty conference area in the middle. I've been telling everyone about how much it's like The Overlook. I was weirdly excited about it. So when we check in, guess what room I get? HINT. If I ran into a set of twins I would have gone into shock.

2. Erin and I are proud to report that every single event we've been to has been successful. No duds here. I mean, if there were duds I probably wouldn't write about them, but you can take my word on this. Every event has been a hit.

3. I'll admit I'm personally disappointed that I haven't had any gigantic tax returns this tax season. The best part of taxes is telling someone in your best game show host voice that they're getting a return of $8,000. I can't pretend I'm Bob Barker if the return is less than a thousand bucks.

4. Erin and I also want to thank Emily Forsee. Ms. Forsee is an Americorps volunteer who works out of our home base in Columbus. Emily has organized over a dozen clinics across Columbus to help people file their taxes. That on it's own deserves kudos. But an added benefit for the Mobile Team is that going to these events keeps us in Columbus. I can't imagine how roadworn and weary we'd be if it weren't for the occasional clinic in our home county. Staying in Columbus every now and again keeps fresh for these trips to Van Wert.

So that tackles the past two weeks or so. The calendar is still chock full all the way into late-March. Anyone have any good vacation destinations for April 16th?

No comments:

Post a Comment