Pages

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Prison!

So every month we go to North Central Correctional, a medium security facility in Marion. I've found that some of our most successful trips are reentry events. "Successful" meaning that there are a ton of people eligible for benefits who aren't getting them. Then we sign them up.

This is not really a good kind of successful. I'm glad we can fill the gap when someone isn't receiving something they may be entitled to. That's kind of our reason for being. But wouldn't it be better if these people had benefits as soon as they got out of lockup? Sure, we wouldn't get credit, but these people would have food security and that's more important.

So we meet with inmates getting out in the next 60 days and let them know that they could be eligible as soon as they get out. They can go to Jobs and Family Services, they can go to an OBB site. It's all good. Just get food security.

Erin and I used to be in the yard, now we're in the block. Prison slang! I prefer the block since it gives you an idea of what an inmate's life is really like. Doesn't look fun. A good reminder for me to not misappropriate van funding.

But my personal highlight came when we were leaving. An inmate walking to the common area asked what we were doing there.

"Oh, you know, we're just talking to people who are getting out soon and letting them know about food assistance, other benefits, stuff like that."

The priceless response:

"Oh! The Ohio Benefit Bank! On High and Gay, right? You did my taxes last year. You guys are great!"

Thanks! I think we're great too!

I hope he signs up for benefits with us when he gets out.

No comments:

Post a Comment