Pages

Monday, November 14, 2011

Pondering Homelessness, Charity and the Vicissitudes of Life

Russell and I attended Tent City in Toledo, Ohio where over 300 homeless, or at-risk of homelessness folks gathered to get clothing, food, haircuts, help with obtaining IDs, medical treatment, dental care and of course, benefit enrollment from The Ohio Benefit Bank Mobile Express team. 

And while it was a wonderful event, I could not help but think about all the other weekends in the year where the homeless would need to find a place to sleep. 

The Mobile Express is an outdoor job; we travel places and open our door no matter what weather challenges come our way. This day was no exception. It was in the 40's temperature-wise.  I was wearing my long johns and fortunately in-between clients I cradled a portable heater in my lap.  It can be hard to type when fingers are chilly, so this worked out great.

However, despite a cheery attitude and relatively warm fingers, I could tell a cold was coming on.   After a couple of hours at the event, I felt that "cold to the bone" feeling.  It was then I developed my strategy to take care of myself once I got home  which included taking some medicine, turning up the heat in my home, taking a warm bath and cuddling under my covers in my bed for the night. 

 As Russell and I greeted people, I realized that our visitors were not unlike myself in so many ways but without these basic advantages- access to medicine, a warm shower, or a dry place to lay their head.

Where do you go or what do you do if you are homeless and the night is 30 degrees and you feel miserable?  How do you get rid of that "cold to the bone" feeling?  Adding complications like a lack of food or medical attention it does not bode well. 

It felt good to see people getting blankets and clothing at the event.  Hot cocoa and coffee were available as well.  And the camaraderie between the volunteers and the participants was palpable. People who visited us were very grateful for the services we provided.

I am glad the Mobile Express is invited to participate in events that attempt to make a difference. Tent City is put on by 1Matters. You can check out their website here.




Free clothing was offered at Tent City
A monument to veterans at the Tent City site.

No comments:

Post a Comment